Last Updated on 1 year by Touhid
Malware is short for “malicious software” that typically consists of software program or code. In this post, we will focus on the malware definition and example of most common types of malware.
It is intended to extensive damage to data or to gain unauthorized access to a computer system without the user’s knowledge.
The malware is delivered in the form of a link or file over email and it requires the user to click on the link or open the file to execute the malware.
Malware Definition and Example
In general, malware can be defined as malicious and harmful software which intentionally designed to damage data, computer, server, or network without the users consent.
Now, we will discuss the malware definition and example of different types of malware such as:
- Computer viruses
- Trojan horses
- Logic Bombs
1. Computer viruses
A computer virus is a software program that can spread from one software system to another software without the user’s knowledge and performs malicious actions.
It has capability to corrupt or damage data, destroy files, format hard drives or make disks unreadable.
How it spread?
There are different ways that a virus can spread, which are as follows:
- Clicking on an executable file
- Visiting an infected website
- Viewing an infected website advertisement
- Opening spam email or an email attachment
- Downloading free games, software and other system utilities
Learn More About Computer Virus
A computer worm is a type of malicious software or program that spreads within its connected network and copies itself from one computer to another computer .
It exploits the security holes of the software and trying to access in order to damage sensitive information, corrupting files and installing software for remote access to the system.
Learn More About Prevent Computer Worms
3. Trojan Horse
A Trojan horse or Trojan is a malicious code or program that developed by hackers to disguise as legitimate software to gain access to victim’s systems.
It has designed to delete, modify, damage, block, or some other harmful action on your data or network.
- The victim receives an email with an attachment file which is looking official email. The attachment may contain malicious code that is executed when victim clicks on the attachment file.
- You can protect your device such as computers, laptops, Macs, tablets and smart phones against Trojans by installing effective anti-malware software.
- Do not click and open that type of suspicious attachment file.
Learn More About Trojan Horse
Adware is a software program that is designed to display advertisements up on your computer screen within a web browser which redirect you to an advertising websites and collect your personal data.
It can be used to steal your sensitive information and selling the information to the third party for generates revenue.
There are many ways that you can prevent adware, such as:
- Avoid to click on advertisements
- Keep updated operating system and all others software
- Use antivirus software and Firewall
- Adjust Your Browser Settings and more
Spyware is malware software which installed in user’s computer and collects sensitive information such as personal information, login credentials and credit card details without user’s consent.
This type of malware can be installed as a hidden component of genuine software packages. It monitors your internet activity, tracking your login and password information, and spying on your sensitive information.
There are several types of spyware such as browser hijacking, adware, keylogger and more.
If you want to protect your computer from spyware, then apply the following tips:
- Use Anti-spyware software tool
- Keep your Software Updated
- Don’t click on suspicious emails links
- Be careful about free software
Ransomware is a type of cyber crime which blocks to access computer system and demands for bitcoin in order to access the system.
It is malicious program and example of most dangerous ransomware attacks are WannaCry, Petya, Cerber, Locky and CryptoLocker etc.
It typically installed in a computer through the following ways:
- When download and open a malicious email attachment
- Install an infected software or application
- User visit a vulnerable website
- Click on suspicious web link or image icon
Keylogger is a type of spying technology or system monitor software that recording user keystrokes to steal passwords, sensitive information, record instant messages, email, and capture any other information.
This software is installed on a computer system and it has the capability to record every keystroke made on that system.
- There are some symptoms that you may have a keylogger on your computer such as slower performance when internet browsing, your mouse pause or don’t show up on screen.
- To protect from keylogger attack you have to avoid visiting of malicious websites or downloading infected programs, free software, videos or games
- And use antivirus software and keep it up to date.
A rootkit is a malicious program that installs and executes code on a system without user consent in order gain system access to a computer or network.
It is typically installed through by exploiting system vulnerabilities, social engineering tactics, and stolen password or phishing techniques without the victim’s knowledge.
There are different types of Rootkit virus such as Bootkits, Firmware Rootkits, and Kernel-Level Rootkits.
- It is very difficult to detect and remove rootkit malware because the developers attempt to hide their malware script from users and administrators of the system.
- Some rootkit malware is able to detect and remove using anti-malware, and some types of rootkits malware are difficult to detect and remove from device.
- If it is not possible to detect and remove the rootkit then reinstall the Operating System (OS), which will eliminate the malware from your device.
9. Logic Bombs
A logic bomb is a malicious program or piece of code that intentionally inserted into software which impacts a malicious function after a certain amount of time.
For example, a software engineer may hide a piece of malicious code that starts deleting files such as an account database.
Its main purpose is deleting or altering data, reformatting a hard drive and creating other malicious acts on a specified date.
The code can be inserted into the computer’s existing software or into other forms of malware such as viruses, worms or Trojan horses etc.
This type of malware are difficult to prevent because attacker hiding the malicious code in a script or deploying it on a database server.
However, here are some tips to protect from logic bomb malware:
- Periodically scan all files
- Use antivirus software and Firewall
- Keep update antivirus software and Firewall
- Do not download pirated or free software
- Be careful when installing software applications
- Do not click on suspicious URL links
In this useful article, we have tried to explain malware definition and example of different type’s malware also noted some tips to prevent from malware.
Finally, one of the most important points is user awareness; if the user is conscious or informed about malicious software then it is very easy to prevent from malware.