Last Updated on 10 months by Touhid
Malware is short for “malicious software” which typically consists of software program or code. In this post, we will define the malware definition and example of most common types of malware. It has designed to damage or delete data or gain unauthorized access to a computer system without your acknowledgement.
Malware Definition and Example
What is malware definition and example? The malware can be defined as malicious and harmful software which intentionally designed to damage data, computer, server, or network without the user consent.
The malicious software is delivered in the form of a URL or attachments and it requires user to click on the link or open the file to execute the malware.
Now, we will define the each types of malware definition and example.
- Computer viruses
- Trojan horses
- Spyware Malware
- Keylogger Malware
- Rootkit Malware
- Logic Bombs
1. Computer Viruses
A computer virus is a software program that can spread from one software system to another software without the user’s knowledge and performs malicious actions. It has capability to corrupt or damage data, destroy files, format hard drives or make disks unreadable.
There are different ways that a computer virus can spread on your devices, which are as follows:
- Visiting a Vulnerable website
- Viewing an infected website advertisement
- Opening a malicious email attachment
- Downloading and installing free software and games
A computer worm is a type of malicious software or malware that spreads within its connected network and copies itself from one computer to another computer.
It exploits the security holes of the software and trying to access in order to damage sensitive information, corrupting files and installing software for remote access to the system.
3. Trojan Horse
What is the Trojan horse malware definition? A Trojan horse or Trojan is a malware program that is developed by hackers to disguise as legitimate software to gain access to your computer systems.
Typically, it has designed to delete, modify, damage information and block access to your system or harmful action on your data and network.
- You can protect your device such as computers, laptops, Macs, tablets and smart phones against Trojans by installing effective anti-malware software.
- Don’t click and open the suspicious attachment file.
Adware is a malware that is designed to display advertisements on your computer screen within a internet browser. If you click on the advertisements then it will redirect you to a vulnerable website to hack your personal information.
It can be used to steal your sensitive information and selling the information to the third party for generates revenue.
There are many ways that you can prevent adware, such as:
- Avoid to click on advertisements
- Keep updated operating system and all others software
- Use antivirus software and Firewall
- Adjust Your Browser Settings and more
5. Spyware Malware
Spyware is malware software which installed in user’s computer and collects sensitive information such as personal information, login credentials and credit card details without user’s consent.
This malware installed in victim’s computer and collects sensitive information such as personal information, login credentials and credit card details without victim’s consent.
It may install as a hidden element of genuine software packages. This malware monitors your internet activity, tracking your login credentials and spying on your sensitive information.
There are several forms of spyware such as browser hijacking, adware, keylogger and more.
If you want to protect your computer from spyware, then can consider the following tips:
- Use Anti-spyware software tool
- Keep your Software Updated
- Don’t click on suspicious emails links
- Be careful about free software
What is ransomware malware definition and example? Ransomware is a type of malware which blocks to access computer system and demands for bitcoin in order to access the system.
There are different types of ransomware malware in cyber security and the most dangerous ransomware attacks are WannaCry, Petya, Cerber, Locky and CryptoLocker etc.
These types of malware can install in a computer or other devices through the following ways:
- When download and open a malicious email attachment
- Install an infected software or application
- User visit a vulnerable website
- Click on suspicious web link or image icon
7. Keylogger Malware
Keylogger is type of spying technology or system monitor malware that recording user keystrokes to hack your password, sensitive information and record instant messages that you are typing.
This keylogger malware is installed on a computer system and it has the capability to record every keystroke made on that system.
- There are some symptoms that you may have a keylogger on your computer such as slower performance when internet browsing, your mouse pause or don’t show up on screen.
- To protect from keylogger attack you have to avoid visiting of malicious websites or downloading infected programs, free software, videos or games
- And use antivirus software and keep it up to date.
8. Rootkit Malware
A rootkit is a malicious program that installs and executes code on a system without user consent in order gain system access to a computer or network.
It is typically installed through by exploiting system vulnerabilities, social engineering tactics, and stolen password or phishing techniques without the victim’s knowledge.
There are different types of Rootkit malware virus such as Bootkits, Firmware Rootkits, and Kernel-Level Rootkits.
- It is very difficult to detect and remove rootkit malware because the developers attempt to hide their malware script from users and administrators of the system.
- Some rootkit malware is able to detect and remove using anti-malware, and some types of rootkits malware are difficult to detect and remove from device.
- If it is not possible to detect and remove the rootkit then reinstall the Operating System (OS), which will eliminate the malware from your device.
9. Logic Bombs
What is logic malware definition and example? Logic bomb is a malware or piece of code that intentionally insert into software or application which impacts a malicious function after a certain amount of time.
For example, a software engineer may hide a piece of malicious code that starts deleting files such as an account database.
Its main purpose is deleting or altering data, reformatting a hard drive and creating other malicious acts on a specified date.
The malicious code can insert into the existing software or into other forms of malware such as viruses, worms or Trojan horses etc.
This type of malware is difficult to prevent because attacker hiding the malicious code in a script or deploying it on a database server.
However, here are some tips to protect from logic bomb malware:
- Periodically scan all files
- Use antivirus software and Firewall
- Keep update antivirus software and Firewall
- Do not download pirated or free software
- Be careful when installing software applications
- Do not click on suspicious URL links
In this useful article, we have tried to explain malware definition and example of different type’s malware also noted some tips to prevent from malware. One of the most important points is user awareness; if the user is conscious or informed about malware then it is very easy to prevent from malware. Hope the article “malware definition and example” will be helpful for you.