Last Updated on 7 months by Touhid
Virus and malware are most important concern for anyone using a phone or others device. It’s essential that you should protect your phone from viruses and malware. In this article, we’re going to focus the best tips on how to get rid of a virus on your phone.
Downloading malicious apps is the most common approach for a phone to get infected when downloading and installing a malicious apps. If you download an app from unknown source, the app may contain virus or malware. When the malicious app is installed in a phone, the app infects the smartphone operating system, such as Android OS or iOS.
How to Get Rid of a Virus on Your Phone?
Once the virus and malware infect your phone then they will get access on your phone and delete your sensitive information. So, you should know how to get rid of a virus on your phone.
Your phone can be virus infected by other devices. For example, if you want to data transfer from computer to your phone then you need to connect your phone with computer. In that case, if the computer is infected with a virus then your phone may infect with virus or malware.
A malicious or untrusted website may contain virus and malicious programs. If you visit that type of websites then your phone will infected by a virus. A malicious website is unsafe website which attempts to install virus or malware onto your mobile without your permission.
An untrusted website is attempting to install malware the following ways:
- The site asks you to download software, executable file, image, and video or run a program.
- It is automatically launches a download window.
- When clicking on suspicious hyperlink.
- The site display pop up advertisements and if you click on that ads.
Here are the 7 (seven) tips on how to get rid of a virus on your phone:
- Use Antivirus Software
- Uninstall Malicious Apps
- Factory Data reset your phone
- Use strong password
- Keep software updated
- Don’t click on suspicious links
- Don’t Browse Unsecured Websites
1. Use Antivirus Software
How to get rid of a virus on your phone? You should install antivirus software in order to get rid of a virus on your phone. Antivirus software helps to protect your personal information such as photos, videos, personal contacts and much more. It is very essential to install an antivirus software on your phone.
Once installed antivirus software, it runs silently to protect your phone from cyber security threats such as virus, malware, spyware, unsafe apps and unwanted threats. If you want to get rid a virus on your phone then you should use a professional antivirus software. Here are the best antivirus software that you can install on your phone:
- Avast Mobile Security
- Bitdefender Antivirus
- McAfee Security & Power Booster
- Kaspersky Mobile Antivirus
- Sophos Free Antivirus and Security
- Norton Security and Antivirus
- Avira Antivirus Security
2. Uninstall Malicious Apps
If your phone is infected with a virus or malware then you should know how to remove a virus on your phone. There are several symptoms or signs of virus, if your phone is infected with a virus or malware:
A. Symptoms of Virus on Phone
- Your device is too slow.
- Apps take longer time to load.
- Too many pop-up ads.
- Data usage will increase than normal usage.
- Unexpected phone calls and SMS.
B. Tips to remove malicious apps from Phone
Here is the necessary steps to remove malicious apps from your phone:
- Go to the Settings –> Apps or Application manager (It may differ depending on your mobile phone).
- The “Apps” screen will be displayed a list of installed apps. Scroll down the list until you find the malicious or harmful apps.
- Tap on the malicious app, which you want to uninstall. If the app is currently running then press the Force stop button.
- Then clear the cache and data, and uninstall the malicious app.
- A confirmation dialog will be displayed for uninstall the malicious app, click on “OK” to remove the malicious app from your mobile device.
- Restart your phone to complete the deletion process.
- If you cannot find the malicious app on your phone then you can uninstall the recently installed apps.
Note: The some known malicious apps are: Adult-player, Browser update, Flash Player and System Update.
3. Factory Data Reset Your Phone
A factory data reset will erase your all data from the phone and back to default settings. If your phone is infected with a virus or malware or facing a problem and you feel the problem is data related and if you’re unable to properly identify the problem then you need to factory reset your phone to recover those issues.
Tips for Factory Data reset
- Go to Settings > Backup & Reset> Factory Data Reset and then tap Reset Phone.
- Enter your pass code and Erase everything.
- Reboot your phone.
- Then, you can restore your phone’s data.
4. Use Strong Password
Create a strong password for your phone security using letters, numbers, and special characters and change the password on a regular basis.
Tips to create strong password
- The password should contain uppercase letters (A – Z), lowercase letters (a – z), numbers (0 – 9), and special character (@, #, $, %, ^, (,), &, *!).
- The password length should be at least 10 characters long.
- Example: P#6^9am@2%D is a strong password and standard password
Learn more How to create a strong password?
5. Keep Software Updated
It is noted that each update version will bring better features than the previous one. It will help to improve the user interface, improve security, and remove bugs and vulnerabilities. We recommend updating your phone’s software whenever a new version is available so you can make sure your phone stays in tip-top shape.
Tips to Software Updating phone
- Connect your phone to Internet or Wi-Fi.
- Go to Settings –> About Phone –> Tap on Software update
- Check for Updates. If an update is available, then will see the update button
- Install and Reboot the Phone.
6. Don’t Click on Suspicious Links
When you browse social media or any other website and if you can see suspicious link then don’t click on it. If you click on that link, then you are redirect to a vulnerable website and your sensitive information will be hacked by attacker and also there has a chance to install malware on your phone.
To protect from virus on your phone, you will never click on Suspicious Links. Before click on a link, you should check first the link is Suspicious or not.
7. Don’t Browse Unsecured Websites
Don’t visit unsecured websites because the unsecured websites may contain virus and malware. So, if you want to get rid of a virus on your phone or protect your computer then avoid browsing unsecured websites.
A trusted websites is secure by SSL (Secure Socket Layer) certificate. In URL, it will starts with https:// such as: https://www.google.com.
Read more about Does the iPhone get Viruses?
Read more about How Do I Know If My Phone Has a Virus?
Finally, you should install antivirus software to remove virus on your phone and follow the above tips to protect your phone from virus and malware. Hope the article “How to get rid of a virus on your phone” will be helpful for you who want to remove a virus on phone!!!