Last Updated on 6 months by Touhid
Cyber attackers are day by day changing their attacking techniques and gaining access of a organizations system. There are different types of security threats to organizations which can affect business continuity of an organization. So, there is no way to be completely sure that an organization is free from cyber security threats or attacks.
Types of Security Threats to Organizations
In this post, we will discuss on different types of security threats to organizations, which are as follows:
1. Computer Viruses
A virus is a software program that can spread from one computer to another computer or one network to another network without the user’s knowledge and performs malicious attacks. It has capability to corrupt or damage organization’s sensitive data, destroy files, and format hard drives.
How does a virus attack?
There are different ways that a virus can be spread or attack, such as:
- Clicking on an malicious executable file
- Installing free software and apps
- Visiting an infected and unsecured website
- Clicking on advertisement
- Using of infected removable storage devices, such USB drives
- Opening spam email or clicking on URL link
- Downloading free games, toolbars, media players and other software.
2. Trojans Horse
Trojan horse is a malicious code or program that developed by hackers to disguise as legitimate software to gain access to organization’s systems. It has designed to delete, modify, damage, block, or some other harmful action on your data or network.
How does Trojans horse attack?
- The victim receives an email with an attachment file which is looking as an original official email. The attachment file may contain malicious code that is executed as soon as when the victim clicks on the attachment file.
- In that case, the victim does not suspect or understand that the attachment is actually a Trojan horse.
Lear More About Types of Trojans Viruses
Adware is a software program that contains commercial and marketing related advertisements such as display advertisements through pop-up windows or bars, banner ads, video on your computer screen.
Its main purpose is to generate revenue for its developer (Adware) by serving different types advertisements to an internet user.
How does adware attack?
- When you click on that type of advertisements then it redirect you to an advertising websites and collect information from to you.
- It can be also used to steal all your sensitive information and login credentials by monitoring your online activities and selling that information to the third party.
Spyware is unwanted types of security threats to organizations which installed in user’s computer and collects sensitive information such as personal or organization’s business information, login credentials and credit card details without user knowledge.
This type of threats monitor your internet activity, tracking your login credentials, and spying on your sensitive information.
So, every organization or individual should take an action to prevent from spyware by using anti-virus, firewall and download software only from trusted sources.
How does Spyware install?
It can be automatically installs itself on your computer or hidden component of software packages or can be install as traditional malware such as deceptive ads, email and instant messages.
Computer worm is a type of malicious software or program that spreads within its connected network and copies itself from one computer to another computer of an organization.
How does worm spreads?
It can spread without any human assistance and exploit the security holes of the software and trying to access in order to stealing sensitive information, corrupting files and installing a back door for remote access to the system.
6. Denial-of-Service (DoS) Attacks
Denial-of-Service is an attack that shut down a machine or network or making it inaccessible to the users. It typically flooding a targeted system with requests until normal traffic is unable to be processed, resulting in denial-of-service to users.
How does DoS attack?
- It occurs when an attacker prevents legitimate users from accessing specific computer systems, devices or other resources.
- The attacker sends too much traffic to the target server
- Overloading it with traffic and the server is overwhelmed, which causes to down websites, email servers and other services which connect to the Internet.
Phishing is a type of social engineering attack that attempt to gain confidential information such as usernames, passwords, credit card information, login credentials, and so more.
How does Phishing attack?
- In a phishing email attack, an attacker sends phishing emails to victim’s email that looks like it came from your bank and they are asked to provide your personal information.
- The message contains a link, which redirects you to another vulnerable website to steal your information.
- So, it is better to avoid or don’t click or don’t open such type of email and don’t provide your sensitive information.
Learn more about Phishing.
8. SQL Injection
SQL injection is type of an injection attack and one of the most common web hacking techniques that allows attacker to control the back end database to change or delete data.
How does SQL injection attack?
It is an application security weakness and when an application fails to properly sanitize the SQL statements then attacker can include their own malicious SQL commands to access the organization database. Attacker includes the malicious code in SQL statements, via web page input.
Rootkit is a malicious program that installs and executes malicious code on a system without user consent in order gain administrator-level access to a computer or network system.
There are different types of Rootkit virus such as Bootkits, Firmware Rootkits, Kernel-Level Rootkits and application Rootkits.
How does Rootkit install?
It can be infected in a computer either by sharing infected disks or drives. It is typically installed through a stolen password or installed through by exploiting system vulnerabilities, social engineering tactics, and phishing techniques without the victim’s knowledge.
Malware is software that typically consists of program or code and which is developed by cyber attackers. It is types of cyber security threats to organizations which are designed to extensive damage to systems or to gain unauthorized access to a computer.
How does malware attack?
- There are different ways that a malware can infect a device such as it can be delivered in the form of a link or file over email and it requires the user to click on that link or open the file to execute the malware.
- This type of attack includes computer viruses, worms, Trojan horses and spyware.
Learn more about Malware
Ransomware is type of security threats that blocks to access computer system and demands for bitcoin in order to access the system. The most dangerous ransomware attacks are WannaCry, Petya, Cerber, Locky and CryptoLocker etc.
How does Ransomware install?
All types of threats typically installed in a computer system through the following ways:
- When download and open a malicious email attachment
- Install an infected software or apps
- When user visit a malicious or vulnerable website
- Click on untrusted web link or images
12. Data breach
A data breach is a security threat that exposes confidential or protected information and the information is accessed from a system without authorization of the system’s owner.
The information may involve sensitive, proprietary, or confidential such as credit card numbers, customer data, trade secrets etc.
13. Zero day attack
Zero day attack is the application based cyber security threats which is unknown security vulnerability in a computer software or application. When an organization going to launch an application, they don’t what types of vulnerability is there?
How does Zero day attack?
14. Careless Employees of organization
Employees are the greatest security risk for any organization, because they know everything of the organizations such as where the sensitive information is stored and how to access it. In addition to malicious attacks, careless employees are other types of cyber security threats to organizations.
How does attack?
They use very simple password to remember their mind and also share passwords. Another common problem is that employees opening suspicious email attachments, clicking on the link or visit malicious websites, which can introduce malware into the system.
Finally, in cyber world, there are different types of security threats to organizations which can affect business improvement of an organization or business reputation. We have discussed what are the security threats of an organizations and how does the threats attack or install on a system. Hope the article will be helpful for you!