Last Updated on 3 weeks by Touhid
A computer virus is a malicious program which has designed to spread from one computer to another computer or one network to another network. The virus has the ability to damage your data and replicate itself. In this post, we will discuss on “How Do Computer Virus Spread” on your computer.
There are different types of computer virus which are as follows:
- Boot Sector Virus
- Direct Action Virus
- Resident Virus
- Macro Virus
- Multipartite Virus
- File Infector Virus
- Browser Hijacker
- Polymorphic Virus
- Web Scripting Virus
Learn More about Types of Computer Virus
How Do Computer Virus Spread
Computer viruses may spread as different form such as images, programs, .exe file, word documents, and other file types. How does computer virus spread to your computer system? Typically, there are different ways that computer virus infect to your computer.
Here, are the ways that how do computer virus spread on your computer:
- Downloads Free Software
- E-Mail Attachments
- Phishing Emails
- External Devices
- Online Advertisements
- Click On Malicious File
- Infected Website
- Copying Data From Infected Computer
- Unsolicited E-Mail
- Social Media Scam Links
1. Downloads Free Software
When you are downloading a free software from internet and if the software or files are infected with a virus then there has a chance that your computer also becomes infected with the virus.
Before downloading software or files from internet, you have to make ensure that downloading site is secured by SSL (Secure Socket Layer) and your computer has a anti-virus software.
2. E-mail Attachments
If you receive a suspicious email with an attachment file from unknown source, the attachment file may contain virus or malicious script. In that case, if you download and open the attachment file then virus will execute and infect to your computer.
You should never download and open the suspicious email attachments or documents to protect from computer viruses.
3. Phishing Emails
Sometimes you will receive promotional emails (Phishing Email) in your inbox from unknown source. These mails may include attachments or URL that contain viruses or malicious files.
If you click on that URL or opening the email attachment, then your computer will be infected with the virus or malware to access your computer system.
The phishing email is an email scam which involves fraudulent email to hack your sensitive information such as passwords, credit card numbers, account data, addresses, and more.
Phishing emails are appearing to you as valid emails, such as email from your office, online shopping or trusted website.
- Never open any suspicious email attachment file.
- Delete suspicious email.
- Scan your computer by using antivirus software.
- Do not reply to Phishing Email.
- Never click email links.
- Up to date your Operating system.
Learn More about Phishing Email
4. External Devices
A virus can enter your computer system by inserting external devices such as USB devices, Mobile, external hard disk.
For example, when you connected your mobile devices to your computer and if the mobile has a virus then your computer could infect with malware or virus.
- To protect from computer virus you should installed Antivirus Software on your computer.
- Antivirus software will scan the external devices to detect virus and remove them.
5. Online Advertisements
If you click on Ads, then it can infect your computer by virus because the Ads may contain malicious code. Cyber attackers insert malicious codes into ads and place the ads on trusted websites in order to gain reputation.
- It is highly recommended to you that never click on online ads.
- Or if you want to click on an ad, then hover your mouse over the ad to see where the URL is redirecting to you.
6. Click on Malicious File
- Malicious software is dangerous to your computer. If you click on malicious executable file, then the malware will spread on your computer.
- The most common form of malicious software is viruses, worms, trojan horses, spyware, adware or rootkits.
7. Infected Website
If you visit a virus infected website and click on the web page links or download any documents, then your computer might become infected with the virus.
Sometimes, you may visit different types of website such as adult, gaming, entertainment and dating websites, which will automatically install adware and malware onto your computer.
- In order to protect from virus you should use antivirus software. There has professional anti-virus software such as Norton, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Panda, ESET, Avast, AVG. So, you can use one of them and keep updated with update version.
- Do not click on the infected Web Pages content (such as image, ads, videos and URL links).
- Check the visiting website is secured by SSL(Secure Socket Layer).
8. Copying Data From Infected Computer
If someone asks you “how do computer virus spread?” So, the answer is different ways computer virus can spread. But copying data from infected computer or external devices is the regular and maximum way to spread virus on your computer.
It is very common way that virus can spread on your system. Sometimes you need to copy data from another computer or external devices (i.e., USB devices). In that case, if the external devices are infected by virus then your computer will also infect by virus.
- In order to protect from virus you should use the professional anti-virus software such as Norton, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Panda, ESET, Avast, AVG.
- Need to scan the devices which is used for copying data from another computer
9. Unsolicited E-Mail
An unsolicited e-mail may contain malicious script or virus to infect on your computer. If you open unsolicited e-mail attachments then your computer will be infected by virus.
This type of email also contain a link and if you click on that link, then the link will redirect to you a vulnerable website to hack your sensitive information.
Do not open unsolicited e-mail attachments and never click on the URL link.
10. Social Media Scam Links
There are most popular social networking sites such as Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Snapchat and YouTube. These sites can spread viruses on your computer.
Suppose, someone shared an images or videos or a link and the shared content has malicious code or virus. In that case, if you click on that link then your computer will be infected by virus or malware.
- Do not click on shared content which has shared by unknown person.
- Inspect the shared URL to confirm that shared content is malicious or not!
We have discussed on how do computer virus spread on your computer or others devices. Now, we will give you some preventive measure to protect your computer from virus attack.
How To Protect Computer Virus
Here are the some important tips for how to protect computer virus attack.
- Use antivirus software
- Ensure anti-virus software is up to date
- Regular scan your computer
- Keep your web browser up to date
- Keep your software up to date
- Don’t click on suspicious email links
- Up to Date operating system and security patch
- Never download software from unreliable sites
- Don’t browse untrusted websites
- Regularly back up your important files
- Do not download suspicious email attachments
Finally, we have discussed on How Do Computer Virus Spread to your computer and also provide some important tips to protect from computer virus. If you follow above all tips then you will protect from computer virus attack.
Hope this article will be helpful for you!!!