The primary aim of data security is to protect customer data, student data, financial data and employee data. In this post, we will discuss on how do companies protect customer information in order to keep business reputation.
Tips: How do companies protect customer information?
Data security is also to protect the organization’s different types of data such as stores, creates, and receives, transactions, knowledge, communications, and infrastructure. Here are the some important tips on how do companies protect customer information:
1. Create a strong password
We are using very weak passwords to remember in our memory like as date of birth, mobile no, employee id, and 123456, which is one of the prime reasons for leakage of customer data. So, create a strong password using letters, numbers, and special characters and change them on a regular basis (i.e., Between 30 and 180 days).
- The password length should at least 10 characters long.
- The password must have uppercase letters (A – Z), lowercase letters (a – z), numbers (0 – 9), and special character (@, #, $, %, ^, (,), &, *!).
- Example for strong password: F#a48^mn@2 is a strong password and standard password
Learn More about How to come up with a good password
2. Install Antivirus software
Antivirus software is a program that helps to protect your computer data files and others important documents from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and unwanted threats. It scans every file which comes through the Internet and helps to protect your customer data.
- You can use server based antivirus to protect your customer database server and ensure that valuable information are secured.
- If companies are using Windows 7, then they can download Microsoft Security Essentials and
- If they are using Windows 8 or Windows 10, then they have Windows Security or Windows Defender Security.
- It is also suggested that if companies use the Internet then you should use professional anti-virus software such as Bitdefender, Norton, Kaspersky, Panda, ESET, Avast, AVG and keep updated with update version.
3. Limit Access to Customer Information
It is not necessary to everyone in an organization access the customers’ personal information. If all employees can access the customer data, then there has a chance to compromise customer data. So, you have to create a plan or access limit, which employee can access the customer data.
4. Centralized monitoring system
You can develop a Centralized monitoring system in your companies to able to monitor who are accessing in your network, servers, database and printers. You can also track who are trying to unauthorized access into your application or data breach in your network.
5. UP TO DATE OPERATING SYSTEM AND SECURITY PATCH
Cyber security expert recommend that update your operating system, anti-malware with the latest security patches and drivers in order to secure customer data. It will ensure that your employee’s computer is up-to-date and free from viruses and other cyber threats. Here are the tips on how to update your operating system:
- Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button > control panel > system and security > and clicking Windows Update.
- In the left pane, click Check for updates, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.
- If any updates are found, then click Install updates.
7. EDUCATE YOUR EMPLOYEES
Employees should be educated and trained about cyber threat, hacking and its protection mechanism because they are maintaining the customer information. They also need to be kept up-to-date on how to protect that information to make sure that data is in safe.
Every organization should have arranged awareness workshop and training program on data security and how to protect customer data. The workshop and training program may include the following topics:
- What is data security? And its importance
- How to handle customer data
- How to protect customer data
- How to take backup and restore data?
- How to create a strong password?
- How to update software and OS?
- Cyber threats and its protection mechanism.
8. DATA BACKUP
A data backup is an important tips on how do companies protect customer information. It is a process, which copying or archiving data files and folders for the purpose of being able to restore data in case of customer data loss. Data backup is secondary storage of data which is used for data protection.
- As part of a data backup plan, you may consider the following strategy:
- Organizing the customer data files and folder
- Use compression method
- Determine backup schedule
- Make sure backup data regularly
- Determine your backup location
- It is better to secondary storage server should be installed in physically different location because if the primary server is down or destroy any reason then then secondary server will be perform.
9. DATA MASKING
Data masking is types of data protection mechanism in which hiding original data with modified content (such as characters or other data).
It is the process of interchanging or modifying certain elements of the data, enabling security and it will ensures confidentiality of your customer information.
The main reason for using masking to a data field is to protect your sensitive data such as:
- Personally identifiable information
- Protected health information
- Payment card information
- Intellectual property and
- Login credentials
10. DATA ENCRYPTION
You can use data encryption technique to protect customer information. Data encryption is a types data security measures which enable encryption and decryption of a data stream during transmission and storage. It can enable the encryption of your customer data, file, and others document.
There are different types of encryption methods used to encrypt and decrypt the data such as AES, MD5, and SHA 1.
Learn more about Data Encryption