The importance of cyber security is very significant issue in digital world. Every organization should aware about its importance and ensure cyber security.
What is cyber security?
Cyber security is the preventative action of protecting computer systems, networks, and software from malicious attacks or unauthorized access.
It consists of technologies, processes and controls designed to protect systems or reduce the risk of cyber-attacks. Cyber security ensures the data confidentiality, integrity and availability (CIA) of an organization.
Main Principles of Cyber Security
There are three main principles of cyber security such as confidentiality, integrity and availability. It is also known as the CIA triad model which is designed to guide policies for information security within an organization.
Confidentiality is the protection of personal information which allows authorized users to access sensitive and protected data. It involves any information that is sensitive and should only be shared with a limited number of people.
Following types of information that is considered as confidential:
- Name, date of birth, age and address
- Contact information
- Bank account details
- Professional information
- Email account details
- Social Media Profile
- Medial record
- Family information
Integrity means maintaining the consistency, accuracy, and completeness of data over its entire life cycle. It involves keeping the information from being altered or changed and ensures that data cannot be altered by unauthorized people.
The information can be edited by authorized persons only and remains in its original state. It is implemented using security mechanism such as data encryption and hashing.
Availability ensures that information and resources are accessible for authorized users. It is implemented using methods such as hardware maintenance, software patching and network optimization.
If an attacker is not able to compromise the first two principles then they may try to execute denial of service (DoS) attack. This attack would bring down the web server and making the website unavailable to legitimate users due to lack of availability.
Importance of cyber security
Security is one of the most important topics in the cyber world. What is the importance of cyber security and why so many organization spend so many resources and money into keeping their facilities and data secure.
Here are a few of the more remarkable reasons why security is important:
- To protect intellectual property, financial data, personal information, or other types of sensitive information from unauthorized access and hacking.
- To collect, process, and store huge amounts of different types of organization data such as government, military, corporate, financial, and medical organizations in a secured way.
- To prevent from different types cyber-attack such as phishing, SQL Injection, Dos attack, Cross Site Scripting, Malware, Ransomeware etc.
- Cyber attackers are constantly changing their tactics and getting smarter that’s why companies should keep up to date on the latest security threats to ensure security.
- Due to the minimal data storage capacity, companies are now looking on cloud storage for data storage. So, there can be a serious threat to its privacy and misuse if no proper cyber security tools are used.
Cyber security tools
Here are most important cyber security tools and techniques that every organization needs to consider investing in to ensure their cyber security.