Last Updated on 3 months by Touhid
Computer virus is a software program that can spread from one computer to another computer or one network to another network without the user’s knowledge. It causing potential harm to a computer’s data, files and hard drive. In this post we will discuss the best tips for prevention of computer virus attack and other malicious attacks.
Prevention of Computer Virus Attack
Computer viruses are disguised as different ways such as hyperlinks, pop-ups, email attachments, images, audio or video files. Here we have discussed the best ways for prevention of computer virus attack are as follows:
1.Use Antivirus Software
Antivirus software is a program that helps to prevent computer threats such as viruses, hackers, and different types of malware threats. It scans every file which comes through the internet, USB devices or external hard disk to your computer and helps to protect your computer from virus attack.
You can use one of the following anti-virus on your computer which prevent from computer virus attack.
2. Keep Up to date Antivirus
Everyday new versions of computer viruses are being released and it is essential that your computer is protected from viruses by keeping the anti-virus software up to date.
The best way to prevention of computer virus attack is to buy and install a reputable antivirus which is subscription-based program.
3. Regular Scan your Computer
Regularly scanning your computer with an antivirus software is one of the easiest and best ways to prevention of computer virus attack and removing infections.
When you installed an anti-virus software, you should scan your entire computer periodically. If the anti-virus software has the ability to automatically scan files or directories so, enable this feature with suitable time interval.
It is better to complete a full scan every two weeks or a single full scan per month is usually enough. A full scan takes several hours, depending on how much data you have in your computer.
4. Keeping your Web Browser Up to date
Keeping your web browser up to date is very important for protection of computer virus attack and ensuring that web pages are load properly. Out of date web browsers can have serious security problems such as viruses, Trojans horse, spyware, adware, and other sorts of malware.
A. Steps for update Firefox browser
- First, click the menu button, and click Help –> about Firefox.
- Click on About Firefox and a window will open.
- Then Firefox will begin checking for updates and downloading automatically.
- Click Restart to update Firefox, when the download is complete.
B. To update Google Chrome:
- First open Google Chrome browser
- At the upper-right corner of the screen looks at more.
- And then Click Update Google Chrome.
- If you don’t see this button, then you are on the latest version
- Click Relaunch.
5. Keep your Software Up to date
You have to ensure that your all used software’s are updated such as anti-virus software, customized software and computer operating systems. The main reason for using the latest version software is to stay protected from virus attack and security threats.
Old version software may have some bug or vulnerabilities in code and when a new version of software is released, the version usually includes fixes for those types of security vulnerabilities.
6. Don’t Click on Suspicious Email Links
One of the biggest sources of malware or virus is suspicious emails, called spam. A suspicious e-mail may contains a virus or malware script to redirect you to a vulnerable website to compromise your information.
- If you think your incoming email is suspicious then you can direct phone call to sender to confirm as he sends the mail.
- In addition to simply deleting the email and it is better do not click on that type of email.
7. Up to Date Operating System and Security Patch
Cyber security expert recommend that update your computer operating system on a regular basis with the latest security patches in order to protect from computer virus attack and malware. It will ensure that your computer is up-to-date and free from viruses and other cyber threats.
- Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button > click control panel > system and security > and clicking Windows Update.
- In the left pane, click Check for updates, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.
- If any updates are found, then click Install updates.
8. Never Download Software from Unreliable Sites
It is also recommended that download the software and apps from only trusted sources. So, don’t download the software, apps or content from untrusted websites because the untrusted websites may contain virus or malware which will infect your computer.
9. Don’t Browse Untrusted Websites
Don’t visit untrusted websites because the untrusted websites may contains virus and others types of malware. So, if you want to protect your computer from virus and malware attack then avoid to browse untrusted websites.
A trusted websites is secure by SSL (Secure Socket Layer) certificate. In URL, it will starts with https:// such as: https://www.google.com.
10. Regularly Back up your Important Files
A data backup is a process copying or archiving important data files and documents for the purpose of being able to restore data in case of data loss event. It is the easiest way to recover your data files from backup storage when data has been lost by any virus or cyber-attack. A data backup is a secondary storage of data which is used for data protection.
You can take regular data back-up manually or automatically by archiving important documents to an external hard drive, or using Drop box or using Google drive and your suitable place.
11. Don’t Download Untrusted Email Attachments
If you receive an email from unknown sender address with an attachment file then don’t download the email attachment. The attachment file may contain virus or malware script, if you download and open the file then virus will execute and infect to your computer.
So, it is better never download the untrusted email attachments to prevent from virus attack or any others security threats.
Finally, a computer virus can spread in different ways on your computer. So, we should take preventive measure to protect from computer virus. We have discussed on how to prevent from computer virus attack and malware. Hope the article “prevention of computer virus attack” will be helpful for you!