Special Tips on How to Be Safe Online
Last Updated on 2 years by Touhid
In Information Technology, online means electronic devices (such as computer, phone) are connected with internet. We are getting a lot of benefits, and opportunities using these electronic devices. So, we have to take some preventive measures on how to be safe in online. In this article, we will focus some special “tips on how to be safe Online”.
Tips on How to Be Safe Online
Cyber-criminals attacks user’s computer by infecting malicious code or programs when the users are online. Before visiting or downloading apps or software from websites, be sure that you are safe on online. Here are the some important tips on how to be safe Online.
1. Create Strong Password to safe Online
How to be safe Online? First, create a strong password in order to stay safe online. Cyber security expert recommended that use a strong password in order to be safe online. Maximum users use an easy password to remember in mind such as mobile no, date of birth, employee id, or test23456.
If you are use a strong password for your online account then you are almost safe in online. So, create a strong password for your online accounts and change the password on a regular basis (i.e., Between 30 and 180 days).
- The password length should minimum 10 characters.
- The password must have combination of uppercase letters (A – Z), lowercase letters (a – z), numbers (0 – 9), and special character (@, #, $, %, ^, (,), &, *!).
In order to create a strong password you should use uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, special characters and change them on a regular basis.
For example: TR$iuL&67%@8 is a strong password.
Learn More How to create and secure a strong password?
2. Make Sure Unique Password
If you want to be safe online, then use a unique password for each online account. Don’t use same password for multiple accounts because if a hacker gets access to your one account (password) then all other accounts will be in risk.
- Email account –> Use unique password
- Face book account –> Use unique password
- Bank account –> Use unique password
3. Don’t Save Your Password on Online
Don’t save your password on a web browser because if your computer or mobile device is ever lost then someone will get complete access to your online accounts. Even, if you save your password on a web browser then your account will be vulnerable to your nearest person such as roommates, family members, and friends.
4. Keep Up To Date Operating System
If you want to be safe online then it is strongly recommend that update your operating system with the latest security patches, updates, and drivers. Up to date operating will ensure that your computer is from viruses and malware.
- Go to Start > control panel > system and security > click on Windows Update.
- In the left pane, click Check for updates, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updatesfor your computer.
- If updates found, click Install updates.
5. Be Careful About Download from Online
This is very important tips on how to be sate online. You should check the site is secure before downloading and installing software or apps from an external source. If the external website is not secured then you are not safe in online.
- A website is secure by SSL (Secure Socket Layer) certificate. In URL, you can see that a website starts with https:// such as: https://cyberthreatportal.com/
- You may download apps or software either from authorized store or vendor’s websites.
6. Use Antivirus Software for Safety
You should install professional antivirus software which will keep safety when you are online. It scans every file which downloads through online, USB devices and helps to protect your computer.
- You can use following anti-virus software and keep updated with latest version.
7. Carefully Post on Social Media
When you want to share a new post in social media websites so you should ensure the post has any sensitive information which may insecure you online. If you want to be safe online then never share your personal information such as login credentials, credit card details to others. Please post a helpful and informative post on social media websites such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
8. Avoid Phishing Emails to Safe Online
Phishing is a social engineering attack that attempt to gain confidential information. A phishing attack has different types of form such as email phishing, spear phishing, whaling and vishing. In phishing email, an attacker sends phishing emails to victim in order to steal sensitive information. So, please don’t open and reply phishing email to protect your information.
Already we have discussed several tips on how to be safe online; avoid phishing email is one of the special tips to safe online. You should avoid phishing email and if possible then block the phishing email as a spam.
Learn more about Phishing is what type of attack?
Learn more about How to Protect Phishing?
9. Provide Your Information On Trusted Site
If you need to enter your personal information for the purpose of online shopping or registration then you have to make ensure the site is trusted by SSL (Secure Socket Layer) certificate. The secured site states that you are safe in online.
A site is trusted by SSL (Secure Socket Layer) certificate. In URL, you can see that a website domain start with https:// instead of http:// such as: https://cyberthreatportal.com/.
10. Keep Browser Update
It is very important to keep your browser update when you are online. Up to date browser will ensure that you are safe from virus and malware. It will also ensure that visited web pages will load very quickly.
You need just couple of minutes to update the web browser, just download and install it.
Steps for update Firefox browser
- Go to Help Menu –> Click about Firefox.
- Firefox will start getting for updates and downloading automatically.
- Click Restart to update Firefox, when the download is complete.
11. Ignore Spam Email
Tips on How to Be Safe Online? Ignore spam email is another important tips to safe on internet. The spam email may contain virus, malware and vulnerable websites link that lead to a phishing website. Spam emails are generally sent for advertisements or commercial purpose. Typically, spam emails are trying to get your sensitive information such as username, password, credit card details or personal information.
Here are the some important tips on how to be safe online and as well as protect from spam email.
- Try to avoid opening spam emails.
- Don’t click on spam messages URL.
- Don’t reply to spam messages.
- Block the spam email address.
- Download spam filtering tools.
- Install anti-virus software.
- Don’t provide personal information.
Learn More How to Permanently stop Spam Emails?
12. Don’t Open Suspicious Email
If you receive a suspicious email then don’t open it. A suspicious email may contain viruses, malware or phishing link to hack or compromise your sensitive information. So, if you want to be safe online then don’t open the suspicious email and never click on the phishing URL, which will redirect to you vulnerable website.
13. Don’t Browse Unsecured Websites
You should carefully visit the unsecured websites and try to avoid visiting of unsecured websites. An unsecured website may have malicious software so don’t download software or apps in order to protect your computer or to be safe online.
Typically, a website is secure by SSL (Secure Socket Layer) certificate. In URL, you can see that a website domain start with https:// instead of http:// such as: https://cyberthreatportal.com/.
Finally, when visiting a website or downloading software’s from unknown website, be sure that you are safe in online. We have discussed some important tips on how to be safe online. Hope the article will helpful for you.