Last Updated on 4 weeks by Touhid
Data security refers to the protection of data from unauthorized access, use, corruption, change, disclosure, and destruction. In this post, we will focus on types of data security measures and their importance.
Types of Data Security Measures
There are different types of data security measures such as data backup, encryption and antivirus software which will ensure the security of your sensitive data. Data security is also known as information security or computer security.
The most types of data security are as follows:
- Data Backup
- Data Encryption
- Use Strong Password
- Use Antivirus Software
- Secure Your Computer
- Up to Date Operating System
- Digital Signature
- Educate Your Employees
- Careful Use of Email and Website
- Data Masking
1. Data Backup
A data backup process is a most important types of data security measures which copying or archiving data files for the purpose of being able to restore data in case of data loss event. It is secondary storage of data which is used for data protection.
- You should installed secondary server in different location because if the primary server is down or destroy then secondary server will be perform.
- Even you can do your personal data back-up manually or automatically to an external hard drive, or using Drop box or using Google drive or any others external devices.
- As part of a data backup plan, you may consider the following strategy:
- Organizing the data files and folder
- Use compression method
- Determine backup schedule
- Make sure backup data regularly
- Determine your backup location
A firewall is security tools which is designed to monitors incoming and outgoing network traffic. Its main purpose is to create an obstacle between trusted internal network and untrusted external network in order to protect data security.
- Use Firewall to reduce the phishing attack on your computer network.
- If your organization sends sensitive data over network then you can use Cisco Firewall.
- And if you are in a home network then you can use Windows Firewall.
Steps to turn on Windows Firewall:
- First, Choose Start→ Control Panel→ System and Security→ Windows Firewall.
- Then, click the Turn Windows Firewall On or off link in the left pane of the window.
- Select the Turn on Windows Firewall radio button for one or both of the network locations.
- And Click OK.
3. Data Encryption
Encryption software is important types of data security measures that enable encryption and decryption of a data stream during transmission and storage. It enables the encryption of the content of a data object, file, and network packet or application.
There are different types of encryption methods such as AES, MD5, and SHA 1 are used to encrypt and decrypt the data.
Learn More about Data Encryption.
4. Use Strong Password
You should use a strong password for database access which will protect from database hacking. Never use simple password such as date of birth, mobile no, employee id to ensure data security.
To creating a strong password you should use combine letters, numbers, special characters (minimum 10 characters in total) and change the password regularly.
For example: P%iu&89m*; is a strong and standard password.
5. Use Antivirus Software
Antivirus software is a program that helps to protect your computing devices, data files, and others important files against viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and unwanted threats. It scans every file which comes through the Internet and helps to prevent damage to your system.
However, the main objective of antivirus program is to protect your computers data and remove viruses.
- Use antivirus software for database server and ensure valuable data files are secured.
- In order to ensure data security you should use professional antivirus software such as Norton, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Panda, ESET, Avast, AVG.
6. Secure Your Computer
Typically, computer security is the process of protecting computer system from theft, hackers and unauthorized access. You should take more security measures in order to ensure data security of your computer.
Learn more about How to Secure Your Computer?
7. Up to Date Operating System and Security patch
Cyber security expert recommend that update your operating system on a regular basis with the latest security patches and drivers in order to secure your data. It will ensure that your computer is up-to-date and free from viruses and other cyber threats.
- Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button > control panel > system and security > and clicking Windows Update.
- In the left pane, click Check for updates, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.
- If any updates are found, then click Install updates.
8. Digital Signature
A digital signature is a types of data security which used to validate the authenticity and integrity of a digital messages or documents such as e-mail, spreadsheet, and text file.
Digital signature used to authenticate the contents of electronic documents in order to ensure data security. It uses encryption techniques and guarantees that the contents of a message have not been altered in transit.
This signature is used in e-commerce, software distribution, and financial transactions.
9. Educate Your Employees
It is very important to educate your employees for ensure data security. Every organization should have arranged awareness workshop and training program on data security. The workshop and training program may include the following topics:
- What is data security? And its importance.
- How to take backup and restore data?
- How to create a strong password?
- How to update software and OS?
- Different types cyber threats and attack etc.
10. Careful Use of Email and Website
If you think your incoming email is suspicious then don’t click on that email or you can direct phone call to sender to confirm as he sends the mail. The email also can contain a link, if you click on the link which may redirect to you a vulnerable website to steal your sensitive data.
- Before downloading and installing software, check the source site is trusted.
- Delete the suspicious email and don’t respond to ensure data security.
- Don’t provide your personal information on unknown websites.
Note: Trusted website is secured by SSL(Secure Socket Layer).
11. Data Masking
Data masking is important types of data security measures in which hiding original data with modified content (such as characters or other data). It is the process of interchanging or modifying certain elements of the data, enabling security and ensures confidentiality of data.
There are many types of data that can be protected using masking such as:
- Personally identifiable information
- Protected health information
- Payment card information
- Intellectual property
- Login credentials
Why Data Security is Important?
Already we have discussed different types of data security measures. The primary aim of data security is to protect the organization’s or individuals different types of data such as stores, transactions, knowledge, communications, and infrastructure. It is also very important for health care system for electronic medical record (EMR).
Finally, data security is not only important for businesses organization or government’s office, it is also important for your personal computer, tablet, and mobile devices which could be the next target to attacker. Hope the article “types of data security measures” will be helpful for you.
Affiliate Disclosure : Cyberthreatportal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for website owners to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.