A cyber security engineer is an IT (Information Technology) security specialist who analyzes, developing and implementing secure computer networks, applications and ensures that they are running safely. In this article, we will discuss on what does a cyber security engineer do and what their responsibilities are.
Duties: What does a cyber security engineer do?
As we know that, every company’s first line of defence is protect against unauthorized entrance into a system. Cyber security engineers are responsible for testing and monitoring computer networks and software application to ensure security and protect from unauthorized access.
Security engineers not only do how to protect from any cyber security threats, they also know how to plan and prepare before any security threats take place. However, some of the duties and responsibilities and what does a cyber security engineer do are as follows:
- Developing a set of security policy and standards for organization
- Planning, designing and implementing secure computer networks and software applications
- Monitoring and upgrading security measures to protect from unauthorized access
- Ensuring the organization’s data and infrastructure are secured from cyber attack
- Installing security devices and certificate such as firewalls, SSL certificate, Web application firewall, digital signature and VPN
- Ensure data backup and recovery in case of data loss event
- Identify weaknesses or vulnerabilities of a system and solve it
- Troubleshooting on system security and network problems
- Keeping up to date on the newest security threats and tools
- Recommending security improvements techniques to management
- Evaluate the security of a system using penetration testing tools
- Supervising changes in network, software and hardware
- Reporting security findings and feedback to management
- Educating and training to staff members on security threats and its protection mechanism
- Analyze and recommend on new security technologies and solutions
- Daily reporting and communication with the relevant departments in the organization.